The Man, exhibit one: stilettos
What the hell? Now there's a stiletto workout? My God.
Are we going backwards, or is it just me projecting (more like projectile vomiting)? The VP can shoot up some guy and hide it from the papers, but the stiletto workout gets press (top 10 excuses Cheney's got for shooting up his pal can be found here).
My favorite quote (from the gym's national fitness director): "Your feet will probably never recover because it's not a position you're meant to be in all day long," she said. "This class will strengthen your legs and your core, it will make it less painful, but it will never be pain free."
UGH. I may be a curmudgeon, but this really made me mad. If you, dear reader, would like to wear stilettos, that's of course your prerogative. I may even wear them some day. But why does Western society say that wearing them makes us more sexy or authoritative (from the article, same fitness director: "They're businesswomen and they have to wear heels so they want to understand how to look better in them and feel confident.")? Teetering on my quickly-going-numb toes doesn't exactly make me feel confident. It makes me feel pain! And like I can't run or walk quickly if I need to! I can't have fun, and dance, and be myself if I'm thinking about how my 4 in. spikey heels are cutting off circulation to my feet. I'm SHORT (5'1", thank you very much), and I feel this way! So perhaps heels would help me to be seen as a "grown-up" more often. But whatever. Gimme a decent pair of clunky mary janes anyday.
wow, guess this really did piss me off, hm?
Are we going backwards, or is it just me projecting (more like projectile vomiting)? The VP can shoot up some guy and hide it from the papers, but the stiletto workout gets press (top 10 excuses Cheney's got for shooting up his pal can be found here).
My favorite quote (from the gym's national fitness director): "Your feet will probably never recover because it's not a position you're meant to be in all day long," she said. "This class will strengthen your legs and your core, it will make it less painful, but it will never be pain free."
UGH. I may be a curmudgeon, but this really made me mad. If you, dear reader, would like to wear stilettos, that's of course your prerogative. I may even wear them some day. But why does Western society say that wearing them makes us more sexy or authoritative (from the article, same fitness director: "They're businesswomen and they have to wear heels so they want to understand how to look better in them and feel confident.")? Teetering on my quickly-going-numb toes doesn't exactly make me feel confident. It makes me feel pain! And like I can't run or walk quickly if I need to! I can't have fun, and dance, and be myself if I'm thinking about how my 4 in. spikey heels are cutting off circulation to my feet. I'm SHORT (5'1", thank you very much), and I feel this way! So perhaps heels would help me to be seen as a "grown-up" more often. But whatever. Gimme a decent pair of clunky mary janes anyday.
wow, guess this really did piss me off, hm?


1 Comments:
thanks abby! all fixed now, i hope.
By
Jess in boston, at 11:28 PM, February 15, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home