there was a girl who had a curl . . .

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

ooh, the possibilities are endless

Hello to my one reader! I am back! I promise not to be gone for so long next time. Frankly, I've just been very lazy. And consumed by the making of the sock. But that's another story for another day -- today, let's talk cookin'.

so at my local grocery last week, I found this:



could it be? the same little teardrop of squash not-quite-pumpkin that was mentioned both on Clotilde's and at la cucina testa rossa's blogs?

I think so! A little rougher around the edges, but one and the same. In French, this squash is a "potimarron." (Bah oui!) The name is a marriage of "potiron" (pumpkin) and "marron" (chestnut). I've been told that the taste of the potimarron is melding of those two flavors (and maybe textures? We'll find out!).

It appears that here, or at least at my local Harvest Co-op, this beauty is known as a Red Kuri squash. I've also found it referred to as Hokkaido squash. Tonight I'm FINALLY going to try out a soup with her (yes, now she's a "her"). I'm thinking a buttery cream of potato soup with some of the squash plonked in and pureed, maybe a mushroom or two, as well. The recipe is WONDERFUL, I'd love to share it with you, but I don't have typing time right now. HOWEVER, if the soup works tonight, I will post it tomorrow.

Maybe a half/half soup (some w/the squash, some without) would work.

A quick digression: For those of you out there (all one of you -- hi Mellie!) who are knitters (oh, hm -- Mel, want to take up knitting?), you'll really appreciate this. Check it out!

And thanks to Colleen for her unending moral support in my sock battle. Things are definitely coming along (albeit slooooooowly). Photos to come!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home